From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Student Teaching - Week #10

By Victoria Johnston – Mitchell Elementary

Zamin
Until this weekend it seemed as though Chicago was in a perpetual winter. Temperatures did not rise above forty degrees for the longest time, but the last few days have been quite enjoyable, I find myself looking for reasons to go outside. The past couple weeks have been full of adventure. I was unable to make this week’s arts event, but last week we had the chance to go to the Old Town School of Folk Music and see the band, Zamin. I was surprised by the genre of music presented by Zamin, but greatly enjoyed their unique fusion of Indian vocal techniques with Indie/alternative rock. The cellist attended Julliard on a full ride and the vocalist was from the Middle East. The Old Town School offers music events weekly and showcases genres from around the world. It has been exciting experiencing the music of various cultures.
Spring Break with Grandpa
This week is spring break for Chicago Public Schools and I have had the chance to relax and explore the city a little more. For my first weekend off I took a Megabus to Michigan to see family. In all the excitement I forgot about my bag I had checked below the bus. I did not realize this until we were driving away and so my family and I chased the bus from Ann Arbor to Detroit while I was on hold with the bus company to try and retrieve the soon to be lost baggage. Everything worked out, but my poor grandpa got his adventure for the month sitting in the front seat of my cousin’s car as we raced down the highway. 
Harold Washington Library
Once I returned to Chicago I tried a donut shop called Firecakes. It was small and cozy, but the donut was delicious as was the latte. I have also found myself at the Harold Washington Library on the eighth floor a few times to use their pianos. The library has a plethora of music and playing the piano again is a great way to unwind.

While I have had a break from school, last week was a good week. Friday before Spring Break I took my students to the Lincoln Park Zoo. It was great to bring them outside of the classroom to solidify their learning of ecosystems as well as give them choice in what they wanted to learn. I personally enjoy the zoo as well so I had fun exploring with my students and talking with a small group. One student in my group affectionately renamed me Miss J instead of saying my entire last name.

Lincoln Park Zoo
Since I am student teaching at Mitchell Elementary I am learning more about Common Core Standards, Backward Design, and Inquiry Based Learning. Mitchell is an early adopter for the Common Core and therefore much of my instruction is focused on meeting those standards rather than strictly teaching from one curriculum. Because they are early adopters, the teachers attend seminars once a quarter to gain instruction on improving teaching practices and incorporating the standards. I have been able to attend two of these meetings with my cooperating teacher and one was the week before break. Student teaching has been an overwhelming wealth of information and experience, but learning about the Common Core Standards has been invaluable. I feel as though I don't have to rely solely on a textbook and I am working toward always having the key piece I want my students to know in mind instead of stressing because my lesson did not work as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment