From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Student Teaching - Week #11

by Victoria Johnston - Mitchell Elementary


Each time I look at the calendar it feels like another week has passed in that short moment. It is already April and my time in Chicago is too rapidly drawing to a close. With the short amount of time I have left I am trying to take advantage of being in the city. Attending every arts event has been part of my goal and this week we attended a play called Proof by David Auburn at the Court Theater in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. The play is set in Hyde Park and tells the story of a woman named Catherine whose father was a mathematical genius plagued by mental illness. Catherine cared for her father during much of his mental illness, but after his death she struggles to prove to her sister and one of her father’s protégés that she is the author of a mathematical proof. Throughout the entire play the audience is continually wondering if Catherine will follow in her father’s footsteps of mental illness and who wrote the proof. I greatly enjoyed the play because it drew in the audience by keeping our emotions involved. This coming week is our last arts event which is also a play. I am looking forward to having another opportunity to see a live theater performance.

Yogurtland 5K Run
This week most of my adventures were close to home. There is a self-serve frozen yogurt shop on the corner less than a block from my apartment and it was celebrating the grand opening at another location. For the grand opening they held a 5K race around the neighborhood. My roommate and I, along with a couple other Chicago Semester students, participated in the 5K. This decision for me was rather last minute, but we were all rewarded with free yogurt and toppings, which canceled all physical activity considering I ate close to a pint’s worth of yogurt and fruit. The weather is finally warming up (and you know from my other posts how exciting this is for me) making yesterday a great day to run outdoors.

Chicago's Chinatown
Last night for dinner my fellow student teachers and I ventured to Chinatown for dinner together. We went to a place called House of Fortune that we all visited together our first week in Chicago. All food was split family style of course and me, being the sophisticated person that I am, got rice in my tea and eventually tea in my rice.

Since April is quickly passing, the end of third quarter is also approaching. I have been teaching full time for over a month now and understand the frantic rush of grading to have everything done to send report cards home. Keeping track of 36 students and their work is quite the challenge so I am working towards finding who has missing work and asking students to turn in work if they want to improve grades. 

This past week I had my students complete an authentic assessment in science. They were given a scenario as biologists in the desert and had to research animals to create a food web. It was exciting to see everyone engaged and contributing to the group when given a specific job. Overall they did well and I realized my students are learning despite my typical new teacher fear that maybe they are not.

I am still loving being in my classroom and get excited when I find new resources for instruction.  This weekend Pinterest pointed me to a website with hip hop songs to teach language arts, math concepts, and other subjects. Speaking of lesson plans, there are a few calling my name at the moment, but I will enjoy listening to raps about literary terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment