From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Student Teaching - Week #13

by Victoria Johnston - Mitchell Elementary School

Hash House A Go Go
Pancake

The final two weeks of the semester are approaching and my activities have dwindled with it. This past week was a whirlwind of finishing my massive unit plan and portfolio so I can graduate and put a capstone on student teaching. I finally finished both and did not lose as much sleep as anticipated. One experience to share from this weekend was my brunch destination. Our apartment building is right next to a restaurant called The Hash House and I have been intending to go there all semester yet waited till Saturday to actually go. Almost every meal is served with some form of potatoes (hence Hash House) and portions are massive. A person at the table next to mine had a pancake and it was possibly the size of my torso. I got one of their “hashes” with artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, and eggs on the side. It was all mixed with diced potatoes of course. One meal has turned into three.

This past week one of my fellow Chicago Semester friends won the happy hour at a restaurant with a dueling piano show. She was able to invite up to 100 people and we all received free appetizers and discounts on food. We were able to request songs for the band to play and their musical abilities were stellar. They could play almost any song we asked and, because I like to think we were guests of honor, we had front row seats. Since I play the piano it was even more exciting to see that kind of talent and enjoy the music.

The more I realize I only have two weeks left, the sadder I become. I plan on telling my students tomorrow that my last day is May 3rd and I only have two weeks left as their teacher. For instruction this week I am only teaching three subjects and handing back reading, writing, and social studies to my cooperating teacher. It will be odd to see this side of the semester and observe him teach my kids, since at the beginning I had no idea what I was doing and who the 36 ten and eleven year-olds in that class were. At least I can help with small group instruction, otherwise I would begin to feel as though time actually slows down.

One of my favorite lessons this week was my response to intervention group. I have third through fifth grade students who are at the highest reading level of the elementary students. We are studying the book The Watsons Go to Birmingham which is full of humor and adventure. Friday, I taught my students about idioms, what they are and how they are used. For their activity they had to pick idioms and draw them using their literal meaning for one picture and the actual meaning for another picture. One example they found amusing was to “hit the hay” because it is not actually going to go smack hay. I am looking forward to seeing the other idioms they picked and how they choose to illustrate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment