From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Friday, March 22, 2013

Student Teaching - Week #9

by Victoria Johnston - Mitchell Elementary
  
Alvin Ailey American Dance
Living in Chicago has been full of more adventure than I ever thought possible. There are endless events, museums, stores, and activities to attend here, some great and some simply interesting. This weekend was a particularly adventurous one. Thursday’s arts event was attending the Alvin Ailey American Dance theater performance. Just like the Joffrey Ballet, the dancers were incredibly talented and I experienced forms of dance I am not as familiar with. They performed one of the most famous Alvin Ailey pieces called “Revelations”, and it was amazing to see how dancers convey a story without even speaking. I appreciate that every performance for the arts events has been diverse within itself as well as from each other. I feel as though I am a cultured individual now. 

Fun with friends
Another adventure is friends from Arizona are here so I’ve been showing them around and enjoying new places as well. St. Patrick’s Day is quite the festive holiday here in Chicago. We saw the river being dyed green on Saturday and also the parade. Our hats were fuzzy, large, and green therefore everyone noticed but it was worth it especially since they were warm. Almost every person walking down the street was sporting green in some fashion. Sunday we toured the Cultural Center, a nine story Macy’s, and the Harold Washington Library. I was rather excited to find the library has practice rooms where I can play piano. All this adventure is almost exhausting, but it has been worth it.
Chicago River
My week in the classroom was a great week. While the students probably have spring fever, they are finally getting to spend more recesses outside. I am much more comfortable in the classroom and am enjoying teaching. Every lesson has its challenges, but I learn something every day whether it is about a strategy that worked or simply failed. Implementing hands on lessons is one of my favorite parts of teaching. This week I began a unit on Westward Expansion and the Oregon Trail. On Friday I created a “wagon” for my students from the desks to show them how small it was and how little the Americans were actually able to take on their 2,000 mile, six month long trip. It was my best lesson yet. I had a blast teaching it, my students were excited and I was completely comfortable at the front of the room.

Another fun moment was Thursday. The date was 3/14 so we celebrated Pi day by talking about Pi and eating pie as a class. The students had fun just sitting and talking as well as eating pie in class. We were also able to implement a mini fraction lesson with the pies. Not every day is a good day, but overall I love teaching and having a relationship with my students. It is exciting finding what the future has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment