From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Student Teaching - Week #8

by Amanda Mast - Curie High School
Funny quote of the week: “You didn’t choose Curie; Curie chose you”
After attempting to explain that I didn’t choose to come to Curie specifically, but I chose to teach in Chicago, one girl made this sassy remark.  They struggle with the concept of me coming to Chicago to student teach, but I am actually from Iowa.  It confuses them that I don’t make money even though I am working so hard.  On the other hand though, it is really nice to know that they are curious and they want to know everything about me (yes, I am asked a lot of questions every day).

Stairs to Pink Line train
Because we were finishing up our edTPA for our education seminar, I was only in class two days last week.  I’ve had my first sub and experienced the students being confused, but other than that I really have nothing new to report.  I do realize, though, that I hate missing school and getting the students back on track is so difficult.  Taking sick days may not be worth it. 
I didn’t do a whole lot of sight-seeing this week, so I’m going to take some time to write about Pilsen.  Pilsen is a neighborhood with a heavy Hispanic influence. The residents are very proud of their background and culture, and they show it with their murals in Pilsen and a strong sense of community. Pilsen is a unique neighborhood because it has several small restaurants and small shops you can only find in Pilsen. The Jumping Bean has been a favorite coffee shop for my roommates and me. I’m told it has the best Mexican hot chocolate, and I would believe it!   Favorite restaurant: La Cebollita but the main reason might be because it’s only a block away. In Pilsen, everyone has been very welcoming. It has been a lovely living environment full of colors, excitement, and community!
The art at Café Jumping Bean


No comments:

Post a Comment