From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Student Teaching - Week #10

by Amanda Mast - Curie Metro High School



My first week of student teaching, I was talking to someone back home about my first experiences. I believe my exact quote was “I am 100% sure I do not want to be a teacher.” After one week of seeing the stress and behind the scenes teacher work, I made this bold statement. I would have never guessed I would be so wrong. 

This week, I had an epiphany. I am loving the teaching and planning involved. It has been difficult and at times seemed way too stressful to even be considered a job, but the support I have received from back home has kept me going. This week, someone from my hometown sent me a viral video from Ellen of an amazing teacher who has a big heart focused on teaching children. The person who sent it to me simply said that she could see me be this kind of teacher. After watching that video, I realized that was what I wanted to be. All of my heart has been put into these students, and I love talking to them about life just as much as I love teaching them. The video brought me to tears because I was honored that someone would see that in me and because I realized that I am supposed to be a teacher. After the stress and uncertainty of college, realizing that I love what I am doing was the most wonderful feeling. I wish more than anything I could show everyone pictures of my students and tell you my stories about all of them. 

Much of this is thanks to the support I have all around me. From students back at Central, professors, people from my hometown, the teachers I work with now, my roommates, the other student teachers in my program and the school, my parents . . . I could go on forever, no joke. I really want to thank all of you who read my blog and message me right away to say you are thinking about me and that you are proud of me. The fact that I have such a strong support system has gotten me through so many of the hard situations, allowing me to see the beauty of the rest of my experience. Thank you. 

Chicago Symphony Center
I had the most fantastic week in the city as well! Chicago Semester students went to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra featuring Yo-Yo Ma. One of my roommates and I arrived very early, so we had time to explore the orchestra hall. There were so many fun staircases and nooks to find with small, beautiful details. It was fun to get dressed up on a Thursday night, but the true greatness of the night was listening to Yo-Yo Ma play. I don’t know if I will ever see someone who loved music as much as he did again. With my opera binoculars – I borrowed them from a Chicago Semester staff member—I could see so much passion and emotion on his face. This was my favorite art event by far.  The atmosphere, the friends, and the music - It was magical.

With my roommate,
Emily, at the
Chicago Symphony

Another fun, unique thing we did this weekend was go to turtle racing at Big Joe's. Honestly, if someone was to suggest that you could go to a turtle race, wouldn’t you? There was a new race every fifteen minutes.  Turtles would start in the center circle, and after being released, they would move, at their own pace, toward the outside of the circle. Some turtles were really quick and would speed out, but some would stay in the center, taking their own time and taking in their cheering friends. Everyone was yelling and cheering for these turtles who didn’t seem to care. The atmosphere was so light and fun; it was the perfect way to kill stress and end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment