From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student Teaching - Week #7

by Amanda Mast - Curie Metro High School

Last Monday, I was talking to someone back home about my teaching experience. They asked me if I was becoming “calloused.” 
At first I said “yeah sure. I guess some of the things they say to me don’t affect me as much anymore.” It seemed to make sense. I don’t come home upset about the things students say anymore; they actually make me laugh.  Does that make me calloused?

I made my greatest bounds relationship wise this week.  Students I am failing were telling me that they enjoyed my teaching and promised they would try harder to do well.  Students who seemed unimpressed were smiling and excited.  It felt natural and great to be teaching.  After the week passed, I thought back to the calloused conversation, and realized if anything I’ve become the opposite.  My heart is so soft towards these kids. Now that I know some of their struggles and home-lives, I care for them so much. If saying one disrespectful comment to me gets them through the day, I will handle it.  More than anything, I want to help them.  I want to change their lives even if they don’t realize I’m doing it. 

This week we used technology, read “The Cat in the Hat,” and read another Greek myth. The amount I am getting them to read and enjoy is so much more than when I started.  As a teacher, I am growing in efficiency and confidence, and the students can tell.  This week has been so devoted to teaching, and I love it even more than I thought I would. 

One Came Home
Lifeline Theater
As for my Chicago living experience, I did not do much this week because I was devoted to planning and sleeping- everyone in the house was getting a little sick, and I have never wanted to avoid sickness so badly. On Thursday, we went to Lifeline Theater to the play “One Came Home.” It was a small stage with few props and a lot of imagination (ex. using a ladder as a horse).  Seeing this small play just showed how much the city appreciates arts no matter how small.  My roommates and I also attempted to go to the Lagunitas Brewery, but that place is like a small city in itself!  We ended up never finding the entrance until the tour had already started.  I guess that will be an adventure for another weekend!


              

1 comment: