From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Student Teaching - Week #9

by Erin Schrupp - Ray Elementary

Right now, I’m in the middle of FINALLY finishing my EdTPA (YES!) and beginning to teach full-time. Yes, full-time means everything in the elementary grades. Every single little thing you can think of. Remembering the attendance, the lunch count, switching the jobs in my classroom, giving the students homework to take home every night, classroom management checklists, copies, copies, AND MORE COPIES! 

To be honest it’s been an exhausting experience and I’m only in my first week. However, if I wasn't exhausted right now, I would think something was wrong. I know that good teachers put in extra time for their students. I should be exhausted! It’s my first time completely taking over everything. But even though I’m exhausted, I feel extremely humbled. I’m humbled because as I took over everything, my students act as if this is normal. They come to me for everything now and they trust that I will be there to help them learn. I’ve realized this past week that the reason I go to school every day is because my students need me. They need me to help them learn and to succeed in life. Now, that’s a pretty big responsibility if you ask me! Needless to say, I am so extremely busy right now, but it’s so rewarding at the same time!


Hubbard Street Dance Chicago performs Jiří Kylián
in its 2014 Spring Series
This past week Chicago Semester hosted this art activity where students got to go and watch a ballet. I was so bummed, but I was so busy with student teaching that I wasn’t able to attend! However, I’m still so thankful that Chicago Semester offers us these activities to go to that help us get a different taste of Chicago every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment