From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Monday, March 3, 2014

Student Teaching - Week #7

by Erin Schrupp - Ray Elementary

A Bad Case of Stripes
This past week has definitely been one for the books. Right now, we’ve been working on completing our EdTPA requirements. I was videotaped the whole week on my Literacy unit that specifically focused on cause and effect with the skill of monitoring and clarifying to help improve their comprehension. I’ve learned so much about how my students learn the best as well as, how to best fit their individual needs. 
I read the book, A Bad Case of Stripes to them to discuss what strategies I use to help monitor and clarify. It was also a great activity to read when trying to find cause-effect sentences. Because of this book, I had my students dress in all stripes, which is why I look so funny in the picture. They all LOVED dressing silly in their stripes for this book!


Right now, I’ve taken over just about everything in the classroom except for Science and/or Social Studies. It’s been hard work, but it’s been super cool to see how the students’ views of me have changed since I first met them. They see me as another one of their teachers now, which is a really humbling experience. What’s great about being here, is that being at Ray Elementary, has become a part of community for me. I don’t have any family here and I only have a couple friends, so going into my classroom feeling like they want me there and need me there is really quite wonderful. I’ve come to realize that even though I came to Chicago to teach these students, they’re beginning to teach ME things. Things about myself and about life. I never knew I would become the student and my second graders would become my teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment