From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Student Teaching - Week #6

by Erin Schrupp - Ray Elementary School


William H Ray Elementary
So far, I’ve stayed on a top of my lesson plans. It’s been great to coordinate really well with my cooperating teacher and to get feedback on my lesson plans in case I need to change anything before I teach them. I’ve been able to understand how important my position is as a student teacher at Ray Elementary and I’ve really taken a liking to feeling like a real teacher when I go home. I feel like a real teacher because I grade papers, plan lessons, and talk about how I can differentiate for my students. 

I recently experienced a special moment while I was teaching math. It was after instructional time was over and the students were about to split into working with partners. I walked to the back of the room and I heard one student say to another student, “Man, Miss Schrupp is really getting a hang of this teacher-thing!”  It made me smile because the students see that I’m trying and they can tell that I am doing a good job. This means so much coming from them because I feel that as kids, they are very observant. Especially if they have been taught from my cooperating teacher the whole year. It really boosted my spirits about how I was doing and how they were perceiving me as a teacher. It’s really great to have all my students’ support as I go through this semester of teaching! SUCH a great moment!
The view of downtown from Promontory Point, a Hyde Park landmark.
Spray from the waves on Lake Michigan have frozen on these bushes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment