From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Monday, March 11, 2013

Student Teaching - Week #8

by Victoria Johnston - Mitchell Elementary

Julius Caesar at the
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
It continually amazes me how fast each week seems to pass. Staying busy makes my days fly. Part of the adventure this week was the art event we attended. The Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier is performing Julius Caesar and we joined Thursday’s audience. It was a well done play that was a modern interpretation of Shakespeare’s famous tragedy. Caesar was portrayed as a political figure that wore a suit as well as Brutus and all the other men involved in his murder plot. Cell phones were also part of the props. Since I am not too experienced with Shakespeare, understanding the plot took much concentration; it was well worth it though. The view of Chicago’s skyline from the theater was amazing as well since it was out towards the end of the pier.
View from the top of the
John Hancock building
My weekend has included many more adventures. Friday night I went to the restaurant and bar near the top of the John Hancock tower and saw an incredible view of Chicago. The lights stretched as far as the eye could see and twinkled in every direction. I became a tour guide Saturday showing school friends who visited the city I have lived in for the past couple months.
Street Performers


On our way to Millennium Park we saw a group of street performers who knew how to capture a crowd. Their scripted advertising was amusing and kept the onlookers wanting to see what they were going to do. These men danced and did amazing stunts such as flipping over five people lined in a row. My favorite dining experience of the week was Saturday night Sushi. I went to a place called Japonais with my brother and the appetizer recommended to us was The Rock. This food choice was thin slices of beef served with a hot rock and it was our job to cook our meat on the rock. It was interesting, but a delicious choice.
Jigsaw Strategy
Life in the classroom is also its own adventure. This week was ISAT testing and my students had a test every day for an hour. We still have one more this coming week. Testing took up enough time that planning for my week was rather easy, but it was difficult to get enough instruction time. One of the most exciting moments this semester happened during a science lesson this week. I had my students read a science article, one of three articles, and teach other students in the class about the article they read. The groups drew pictures on their posters and answered the reading focuses well. Seeing their learning was exciting and a highlight of the week.
Friday my cooperating teacher was gone so I took charge of the class completely. There was a substitute because I am not a licensed teacher yet, but her day was much easier than she probably expected. Having full charge of the classroom was a great experience and gave me a chance to truly be the teacher. The next couple weeks will be busy, but I am looking forward to the field trip I have planned to the Lincoln Park Zoo. It seems the students will enjoy it and have a chance to explore their learning first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment