From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Student Teaching - Week 6

by Rachel Miller - Bridge Elementary

STUDENT TEACHING
Mural Club

I was kept on my toes this school week, especially on Friday. My teacher was not there so I was with a substitute. However, ten minutes before my first class, my sub was moved to a different room and I was told that I would be given a different sub that the school felt should not be managing a classroom. As you can imagine, those were the exact wards I wanted to hear before attempting to teach my first class ever without my cooperating teacher present, not really. It was immediately evident why this sub was not wanted in a classroom by herself. She was not a very nice woman. Even though the day started off on edge, it did get much better. The students were wonderful and it was awesome being completely in charge of the classroom. I felt like I could really open up and let my true teaching style shine through. It was funny though because a lot of my students told me that I sounded like my cooperating teacher with my mannerisms and even the sound of my voice. I guess she must be rubbing off on me. But, I really thought that was an amazing compliment because I think my cooperating teacher is exceptional, and to have anyone think that I am even a tiny bit similar to her really makes me feel great about how I am doing.

Another great moment was mural club this week. We ordered sweatshirts a few weeks ago and they finally came in. We spent the whole meeting Wednesday adding our own personal touch to the sweatshirts by splatter-painting them with a variety of blues and whites for Bridge. They really turned out nice, and the kids absolutely loved it. I even got my own sweatshirt so I will be able to take a piece of Bridge home with me in May.



LIVING IN THE CITY

Outside of school this week, we went to the Shakespeare Theater to see “Midsummer Night’s Dream.” This was the first time that I have ever seen a Shakespeare play performed (besides the movies), and I was very impressed. It is incredible how much more interesting Shakespeare is when you are not reading it out of a British Literature textbook. The play was hysterical; I laughed my butt off. Other than that, this weekend has been pretty low key. I tried bubble tea for the first time and now I am hooked. Tomorrow, in honor of Casimir Pulaski Day, I am going to scout out an authentic Polish restaurant to get lunch at. I think some homemade perogies are just what I need to complete this long weekend. 

CasImir Pulaski - Revolutionary War Hero

No comments:

Post a Comment