From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Student Teaching - Week 7

by Rachel Miller - Bridge Elementary

STUDENT TEACHING


Working with clay
 This week was the dreaded ISAT testing week at all of the elementary schools in Chicago. As a result, for me, this week was pretty relaxed because I did not have any art classes. Instead my cooperating teacher was assigned a group of students to proctor the test for. These students were part of a class that was composed of a majority of either bilingual or special education students. Since their classmates had special accommodations, they had to take their test separately from their peers. We got the students that were neither bilingual nor special education. We also had to keep the students entertained for the remainder of the day once the test was completed. We did a variety of different games and activities, but the best was playing with clay. One of the Pre-K teachers gave us a box of self-drying clay to use with the students. This was the first time that any of these kids have used clay in the art room since Bridge does not have a ceramics program. It was fun to watch everyone try to make pinch pots, coil pots and pinch animals, and to see their reactions to how the clay felt. It was a lot of fun.

Now it is back to the routine. This week I start taking over the fifth and sixth grade classes at the junior high. I am really excited to start working with the older students. They are a fun group to work with because you can joke around with them more than the younger kids. However, I am also a little nervous because I think they are a much more challenging group in terms of classroom management. Hopefully, all goes well.

LIVING IN THE CITY


Enjoying Kasia's Polish Deli

Outside of teaching this week, I have done several cool things in the city. Last Monday, my roommate and I made a trip to a Polish deli, Kasia’s, in honor of Casmir Pulaski’s birthday. That place might be my favorite place in Chicago so far. The food was excellent and it was super cheap. When I left, I felt like I had robbed the place. It was so awesome.


Chicago Symphony

I also had the opportunity to listen to the Chicago Symphony, as it was the art event this week. It was very impressive. I used to play the violin when I was in high school so seeing the orchestra touched a special place in my heart. It really made me miss playing. If I ever get a spare moment in my life, I think I would like to pick it up again.

On Friday I tried a brand new dining experience. My roommate and I went out with another student teacher friend, Amber, to a Tapas bar. Ginnie has been telling me all about tapas, since she studied abroad in Spain, and we were very excited when we found a place within walking distance to our apartment. Basically, tapas are Spanish appetizers. There are all sorts of kinds, both hot and cold. The custom is to order a bunch of tapas for the table and then everyone shares. So that was what we did, and it was delicious. I haven’t eaten that much food in awhile. We also shared a pitcher of sangria to add to the festive spirit. It was an excellent way to end the school week.


Seek Vintage - Thrift Shop

Finally, I have taken it upon myself to fully enjoy this beautiful weather that we have been having lately. I have been making full use of the lakeshore trail, going on several long runs this weekend. I have also been doing a lot of exploring on foot. Yesterday, I went to a really interesting shop, called Seek Vintage. I had coupon, so I was excited to finally check it out. Needless to say, I was not disappointed, and should probably start keeping a better tally on my budget. But, I have found that one of the greatest parts of the city is finding new places and I am only going to be here a few months so I should make the most of. Well, that is my justification anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment