From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Student Teaching - Week 5


by Rachel Miller - Bridge Elementary

STUDENT TEACHING

It was a good thing that we had Monday off for President’s Day because I spent the entire day pumping my body with fluids, laying in bed and eating soup. I was a sick as a dog. Luckily, that was my low point, by Tuesday I was in a well enough state to get up and go to school, and now I am almost back to being 100%. My illness was an eye opening experience though. I had to learn to persevere and work extra hard to maintain my usual level of energy and enthusiasm. Just because you feel under the weather does not mean that the students should receive any lesser of a classroom experience. Some times it is really hard to be a teacher, but I just keep reminding myself that the student’s experience and learning is first priority, even if you feel like you just got run over by the bus.

Playing Card Portrait
This week was exciting in terms of student work. My 1st and 2nd grade classes are almost done with their warm and cool color landform projects, and they are looking beautiful. I can’t wait until they are completed this week so I can start displaying them. Also the 3rd and 4th graders started drawing their king and queen playing card portraits.  This project is remarkable. I am so impressed with all of the detail the students are using. Looking at their work in progress makes my day because some of the portraits are absolutely hysterical. Just the facial features and the style that we are doing them in are to die for. I am so excited to continue working on them this week!

LIVING IN THE CITY

Hunger - Lifeline Theatre
 I also had another weekend jam-packed with Chicago fun. On Friday, Ginnie and I hit up the local art scene by stopping by a few gallery openings in River North. This was a really fun and cheap way to spend a Friday night since the openings are free to the public, and many also serve complimentary refreshments. Then on Saturday, everyone in the Chicago Semester took a trip north to the Lifeline Theater in Rogers Park to watch a production entitled Hunger. The main theme of this semester is focused on hunger and homelessness, and this event was geared directly toward that theme. The show was interesting. The story revolved around a group of scientists working in a seed bank during World War II in Leningrad, Russia. It focused on the hardships the scientists faced as food rations became almost nonexistent. I don’t want to give too much away, but it really was a compelling piece. I certainly left the theatre feeling cold and hungry.  Sunday was also nothing short of busy. 

National Museum of Mexican Fine Art
After yoga and lunch in Lincoln Square, Ginnie and I made a trip to the Pilsen Neighborhood of Chicago to check out the National Museum of Mexican Art. Let me start by saying, if you are ever in the Chicago area put this on your list of must-see places to visit. The museum is home to an impressive permanent collection, and when we were there they also were hosting three additional exhibits. Viewing the work was an excellent insight into Mexican history and art influences in Mexico, the United States and Chicago. I am so glad that I took the time to check it out. In addition, admission is free so there really is no excuse to not give it a go.  


No comments:

Post a Comment