From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

edTPA

Erin Walters - Irving Park Chicago International Charter School


This past week was crazy with school and edTPA, so I’m sad to say I didn’t get to go out too much for fun adventures. The first part of the assignment is due Tuesday and this past week I got to videotape the lessons I planned for the assignment. The kids loved the camera way too much. If they were in a group that I wasn’t taping with, they would keep asking if I could tape their group anyways. Because I was sharing the camera with Molly, this wasn’t possible. I did have the camera one afternoon, though, and I walked around while they did their math and taped them then. This seemed to be good enough for them, and I had fun being behind, rather than in front, of the camera for a while. 

I also found that my students actually behaved better than they normally would when I taped them. We had gone over expectations to ensure that they knew not to goof around when being taped, but I think the extra excitement of being on film and knowing that they were part of a project I was doing really made them want to listen and behave well while I taught. It was so pleased with this, as I was nervous the opposite would occur and they would want to be extra silly simply because the camera was there.  

Now that taping is over, I feel like I have less stress with edTPA. There is still a lot that I need to do for it, but it’s all on my part now; I do not have to think about how my class will react or if my lessons will go well or have any fear that technology will not work in my favor. All I need to worry about is having the time to answer the prompts. 

To help with this is, as always, lots of fabulous coffee shops! Canterbury is in a great location where a lot of fun shops are nearby, as long as you’re willing to do your research. Molly has found a couple great ones so far that have been perfect for lesson planning, edTPA-ing, and even just getting away from the apartments for a while. This past week we went to Eva’s Café, where I got some awesome hot chocolate in the coolest cow mug ever. We’ve also gone to Cassava a lot, which has good bubble tea and smoothies in addition to coffee. In the past I have gotten strawberry milk tea, but this past weekend I was adventurous and tried an avocado smoothies, which ended up being one of the best and weirdest things I’ve ever tasted.  

That pretty much sums up this week! I’m hoping to adventure a bit more soon as the weather (hopefully) gets better and stays better, and I am less busy with work. Tune in next week to see if that actually happens!


Happy March,

Erin.

No comments:

Post a Comment