From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Monday, February 29, 2016

CSO and Doughnuts



Erin Walters - Irving Park Chicago International Charter School



Greetings CSers!

This week was so busy, both socially and academically. I’m finding it hard to do all of the work I need to right now, knowing that the city is out there with so much to offer. I’ve loved getting to balance my work with outings to go and experience and explore.

On Thursday I had the opportunity to go to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra with the rest of Chicago Semester. The programs holds art events weekly, usually on Thursdays and, if not then, on Wednesdays. Students get free admission to the events, so it’s a great way to experience Chicago without having to spend extra money. The Orchestra was especially fun because it meant an opportunity to dress up, which I always find exciting to do occasionally. The music was amazing too. I love getting to witness others’ talents in events like this, especially knowing that I could never do what they do. Music is such a beautiful and intricate thing, and it’s so breathtaking to watch all of the pieces of the orchestra come together to make one astounding sound. 


This weekend held lots of great opportunities for fun as well. The weather could not have been any better, and it was great to take advantage of it! Molly and I decided to try another doughnut place this weekend, this time a place called the Doughnut Vault. What’s fun about this place is that they are only open until they sell out of doughnuts, so people line up as soon as they open in order to get one. For some reason, this quirky sense of community—people uniting together for the love of doughnuts—allowed for a fun experience in addition to the out-of-this-world doughnuts. I would highly recommend visiting the Doughnut Vault if you find yourself in Chicago!

As for the school week, I am finding that it is much easier to adjust to being in school when the weather is better. Even the students seem happier, not having to walk in all bundled up in their coats, hats, mittens, and scarves. They got to go outside for recess for the first time in a while, and after they returned inside I could see the difference it made to have gotten some fresh air. My teacher and I even went for a walk during lunch with the other 3rd grade teacher, which was a great break from the classroom.

We also got to celebrate my teacher’s birthday on Friday! The kids were so excited and brought her lots of gifts; it was adorable. We celebrated with root beer floats and part of a movie at the end of the day, and my teacher’s brother came from Nebraska to surprise her! Her reaction was priceless, and the students were equally as excited to get to see Cooper, whom they had Skyped before in the past.

Overall, it was a great week! I hope it was for all you reading this as well!

Erin.

No comments:

Post a Comment