From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Monday, October 7, 2013

Student Teaching - Week #7

by Rebecca Verhage - Walsh Elementary


This week at school was a bit of a learning curve for me. My cooperating teacher was out of school both Thursday and Friday because she had a wedding she was attending out of state, so I was left to manage and run the classroom. I am almost teaching full-time now anyway so that really wasn’t too much more planning to think about, but having a substitute in the room can bring a different dynamic to the classroom. Thankfully, the substitute assigned to our room was a wonderful retired teacher who let me do what I wanted with the class unhindered.  She gave me some good feedback that I appreciated, especially coming from a veteran teacher.

In addition to the academic language that we have been trying to get our students to adopt into their vocabularies, I have noticed that they have picked up a couple other words as well. The words that seem most popular with my students recently are “dead,” “ugly,” and “Versace.” Versace comes from a rather crude rap song that they all seem to love.  For whatever reason, saying the word makes the whole class giggle, typical middle school. “Dead” and “ugly” have become the new words for things that are dumb, overused, or completely un-cool. Anytime they think something is ridiculous or they get an assignment they really do not want to do, I hear someone saying, “that’s dead” or “ugly.”  So if you want to be young and hip, try one of those words out!

The Dance Center of Columbia College
With my roommates returning 
from the modern dance performance

As far as out of school activities, I had a wonderful time this week going to the modern dance performance at Columbia College. It was not what I had expected and I honestly wasn’t entirely sure what to think of some of what they did. Modern dance, especially at Columbia, is always pushing the boundaries on the definitions of dance. That said, I’m not sure I would choose to go see that type of modern dance again, but I’m glad for the exposure to the different types of arts that this program offers.  It’s also a great time to get out and spend some time with my roommates. Next week we will be going to see the Chicago Symphony and I’m excited for that.   


Farmers Market in Wicker Park
This weekend my mother surprised me with a trip out from Washington. My other sister was in town for a wedding and my younger sister had a college volleyball tournament so I got to spend time with all three of them which was a blast. We walked around Chicago, ate Aurelio’s pizza, and played some card games with friends. My mom and I went to a farmers market in Wicker Park on Sunday before church and I was impressed by the selection of vegetables. We bought some delicious buckwheat crepes for our breakfast and enjoyed it by the park’s fountain. It was the perfect way to start off the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment