From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

End of Semester Thoughts #2

by Carole's Group



Hannah, Carole, Colleen, Jennifer, Steven, and Laura
 
Steven Ansilio – Hope College
Student Taught at Byrne Elementary

Chicago Semester is a great opportunity to see real life beyond the area around your school.  I went to Hope and it was just a middle-sized city.  There are wonderful opportunities in the area, but it was just not for me.  It felt a lot like a little bubble.  Chicago provides countless opportunities to discover more about yourself and what you ultimately want.  I enjoyed traveling around the city, being in a more culturally diverse setting, and being able to do so many different activities.  I learned that I want to be in an urban setting and be a special education teacher.  Chicago Semester really helped me identify what I really want in my future career.  It helped me figure out exactly what I am looking for.
                                                     
Laura Redebaugh - Hope College
Student Taught at Peterson Elementary

I would absolutely recommend student teaching at the Chicago Semester. What I loved most about the Chicago Semester experience was straying away from the norm of staying in the small town of Holland, MI. I was able to live in a beautiful, exciting city while teaching in an incredibly diverse classroom. This opportunity has made me grow both as an educator and as an individual in ways that I would not have if I had not come to Chicago. Facing the challenges of a Chicago Public School classroom has made me confident that I can handle any classroom. The joy of being with my students far outweighed any challenges that I faced. I am so incredibly thankful that I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and challenged myself to take advantage of this opportunity.

Hannah Laps – University of Mount Union
Student Taught at Mitchell Elementary

If you want to be challenged as a teacher, as a person, and improve yourself on a whole another level you didn’t think existed, apply. I have cried, laughed, and I’ve learned the importance of my future and grew passionate for my career in teaching. Being in the city is incredible, all the possibilities and experiences you could imagine. The unforgettable people, amazing food, outstanding schools, and beautiful environment remain in my heart. This experience will be unforgettable and challenged me in more ways possible. I have learned that I can overcome anything that comes my way. I have learned to stay positive when things don’t go as planned and to grow from the experiences that were not easy. I have benefitted greatly from this experience and now cannot wait until I have my own classroom! This experience has made me a better person and teacher.
                                                   
Jennifer Muisenga - Hope College
Student Taught at Whitney Young Magnet H.S. & Franklin Fine Arts Center

Teaching in Chicago Public Schools really prepared me to have my own classroom in the near future. I learned things that you don’t learn sitting in lectures at college or from short placements. You are immediately able to jump in and start doing what you love. What I loved most was having cooperating teachers who invited me to help them with whatever. I learned a lot about the “behind the scenes” of being a dance teacher and that just made me more prepared to direct my own dance program. Student teaching is a time to fill your file box up with as many strategies and ideas as possible and I definitely think my file box is pretty full now. My biggest advice is to not be shy or timid coming in. Take initiative right away and offer to help with things. You want to make the most of your semester and your teacher wants to see that you are motivated to be the best teacher possible. It may be stressful at times, but it will just better prepare you for your first year of teaching.

Colleen Getz – Hope College
Student Taught at Peirce Elementary

The thing I enjoyed most about student teaching in the city was the diversity. Each part of the city is different and unique. I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to explore and get to know each different area. There are so many different characters in the city as well. I always felt like I was in the middle of the action and there was never a dull moment! Also, it was wonderful to live with fellow student teachers because we had the same schedule and we were able to bounce teaching ideas off of one another. Chicago semester helped me to realize that I am interested in working in a fast-pace environment, similar to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment