From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

End of Semester Thoughts #1

by Lisa's Small Group


 
Lisa, Evan, Alex, Erik, and Kristin

Erik Grunder – Central College
Student Taught at Kelly High School

The thing that I enjoyed most about this semester was simply being in Chicago. Coming from a small town - what a shock. However, after a couple of weeks I was not only comfortable getting around the city, but I felt like I was part of it. I also enjoyed the people that I met while I was here. I was lucky enough to have great people at my school, which simply added to the great experience I was already having. I think student teaching here and having success only added to my level of confidence when I think about teaching anywhere else. If I can handle this situation and these students, I can handle just about anything. What a great resume builder and finish to my teaching education then to do it in a fun, challenging and new environment.  Talk about the epitome of teaching!  Continuing to learn, adapt, revise, and rethink the way that you teach to reach these students was so much more refreshing than teaching in small town Pleasantville where the students will do what you say when you ask. This is generalizing but you get the idea.

Kristin Trease – Northwestern College
Student Taught at Kelvyn Park High School

Being able to come from a small college campus to teach in a high school with  roughly the same size student population is an experience that truly is one of a kind. The semester I had teaching in Chicago has changed the way I look at education—when students in your classroom are more concerned about walking home after school safely than learning reading strategies, your teaching becomes so much more student centered. This kind of thinking, as well as a new look at classroom management, collaboration within a department, differentiation, and so much more, has made me grow into the kind of teaching I want to be. The kind of teacher that would have taken so much longer to become in a small, rural school system. It has shown me that an urban classroom is where I belong and that I have something to give to these students, even if it is something as simple as a smile and encouraging word.

Alex DiPietro – University of Mount Union
Student Taught at Kenwood Academy

Teaching out here in Chicago has been a life changing opportunity. I have never lived in community that had more than 20,000 people. Coming from that to a city of 3 million people, all from different cultures and backgrounds, was an amazing experience. I not only learned a lot about urban life and the many different cultures of Chicago, but I learned a lot about myself along the way and proved to myself that I could live in a big city pretty much on my own.

The most enjoyable thing that I got from my Chicago Semester experience was definitely the relationships I formed with so many different people. I grew to truly love and care for my students and I was so sad when my time teaching them was up. I really appreciated the help I got from not only my cooperating teachers, but the other teachers in my department at Kenwood who gave me great advice along the way. Dr. Hensey was a great supervisor who truly devoted so much time into helping all of us teachers out during this great,(but very stressful at times) experience. Lastly I greatly enjoyed the time I spent and the relationships I formed with my fellow student teachers at Chicago Semester. We all come from different schools and backgrounds, but it seems like we became one family in our three months here. I never thought that I could grow so emotionally attached all these people, but this experience proved me wrong.

I feel like this experience showed me that I can be a successful teacher. There are obviously going to be bumps in the road, and good days or bad days at the job, but this experience showed me that I can fight through the days that do not go so well. It has taught me to be reflective and always think about how I can be better, and I will take what I learned from this student teaching experience and apply it not only to my future teaching job, but life in general.

Overall I wouldn’t trade the experience I had in Chicago for anything. I got to teach some of the brightest young minds I have ever met. I formed bonds with some great teachers and future teachers that I will remember forever. I got to live in the greatest city in America for 3+ months. I got to see my Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team blowout Miami in Soldier Field and I got to see Bruce Springsteen rock Wrigley Field. How many student teachers can say they did all of this for their experience? I am truly blessed to have this opportunity and I want to thank everyone who made an impact on me this semester and made me a better teacher and person.
    
Evan James – Carroll University
Student Taught at Kelvyn Park High School
Student teaching at Chicago Semester is a great opportunity in your professional development because you work in a culturally diverse classroom, school, and community. You will not only learn about the variety of backgrounds your students come from, but also who you are as a person and who you want to be as a professional educator. Personally, I experienced students coming to learn and succeed in the learning environment they are a part of, and it is the job of their teacher to create an environment where they feel welcomed, confident and respected to succeed in the classroom, community, and in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment