From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Monday, April 30, 2012

Student Teaching - Weeks 13 & 14

by Rachel Miller - Bridge Elementary

LEAVING THE CITY

Well it has finally come, my last full week and weekend in Chicago. However, I must say that it was one of the best. My mom came Friday afternoon and picked me up from my school. This was her first time ever in Chicago so I got the pleasure of giving her a weekend packed full of the best Chicago experiences. It was a great way to end my time in this city because I really got to experience the city life for one last hoorah. We went out to eat so many times… I have never eaten so well. I took her for some real Mexican and Polish cuisine and we also went to a new Mediterranean restaurant in Lincoln Park and we finished off the eating tour with brunch at Elly’s Pancake House. In addition to all of the good eats, we also took several long walking tours of the city and we went to the Chicago History Museum. Going to the museum was awesome, and I learned a lot about the city. I think going there was even better after living here for a semester. However, the weekend was also spent packing up my apartment. It has really sunk in that I only have a few days left. I am ready to go home, but I am really going to miss living in Chicago.


STUDENT TEACHING

Looking back on the semester, I have to say that I enjoyed the actual teaching experience the most. This is the first teaching placement that I have had that I really felt like I had some ownership. I really connected with a lot of my students and the school faculty. I have had the honor and privilege of working with so many amazing and caring individuals. My cooperating teacher has become one of my best friends in the city, and she is a truly inspiring mentor. Aside from the commute, I am really going to miss going to Bridge Elementary every day. Living in this city for the past four months has taught me a lot about myself. I never knew that I could be so independent. My confidence level has increased exponentially. I really feel like an adult.  I am ready to get out in the real world and have my own classroom. I feel ready and very confident. I know that I can handle pretty much anything that comes my way, and that makes me very proud of how much I have grown as a person and excited to tackle new challenges. This experience has been more than I could have ever dreamed of. I am going to miss everything about living and working in this amazing city, but I know that it is time for me to move on to a new chapter of my life. I learned how to be a city girl and now I have to learn how to be a Southerner…. Atlanta, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment