From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Student Teaching - Week 12

By Rachel Miller – Bridge Elementary

STUDENT TEACHING

Talk about a busy week. You can definitely tell that the semester is winding down because there were a lot of things that I had to do this week. The biggest was finishing my professional portfolio. Luckily, I had been planning and uploading artifacts for it throughout the semester so I was at a good spot. This week was dedicated to writing all my rationales, adding extras, and making sure it was exactly how I wanted it. Honestly, I am very proud of it, and looking at all of my work that I have accomplished this semester still surprises me. You don’t really realize how much you have done until it is all compiled in one place. All of my fellow student teachers should be very proud of themselves and everything that we have accomplished this semester.

The school week was pretty normal. The only unique day was Wednesday because we had report card pick-up and parent teacher conferences. This day was awesome because I didn’t have to be at school until 11:30am. This meant that I got to have an extremely productive morning. I slept in about a half hour, went to the gym, ate a big breakfast, drank coffee while I caught up on the news, did my hair, I even had time to do my make-up and paint my toe nails and there was still time to do a bit of work on my portfolio.  I actually went to school looking like a person who is calm and put-together. Most days I feel like a chicken with my head cut-off, running around trying to get everything ready for the day. This was a welcome change.

LIVING IN THE CITY

Lincoln Park Zoo
 Sadly, all of our art events are now over so I didn’t have anything super cool to look forward to midweek, but it was probably for the best with all the work I had to do. I did make my weekend count though. I had two great runs outside. Today I did a long run and took the opportunity to do some exploring in Lincoln Park. I even ran in the zoo for a little bit. I don’t think the zoo was technically open since it was 7:00am and I don’t know if you are really allowed to run in there, but the gate was open and there wasn’t anyone there to stop me so….

Yesterday, we had another girls’ night out at a new Tapas place in the Wrigleyville area. I liked this place a lot better than the last place we went. This restaurant was very small and had a nice cozy vibe. We all ordered our own tapas and shared the vegetable paella. Ginnie and I split some mango sangria, as well, which was delicious. It was definitely a great way to finish off a crazy and hectic week. Next weekend my mom is driving out here to move out my stuff. I can’t believe how fast this semester has gone. Only one full week left. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment