From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Student Teaching - Weeks #7 & #8

by Kathryn Williams - Taft High School

Sorry about last week.  I have been extremely busy with full time teaching.  I am totally enjoying myself, but things are crazy busy.  Here is a picture from last weekend.  I went to see the river dyed green for St. Patrick's Day.  It was a lot of fun!


But now onto this week!

Teaching Week

POW:  Half of the students in my fifth period class are failing right now.  Several students have As, so it is more for lack of motivation than lack of understanding (although it is a combination as they are unmotivated to learn).  I am trying to find ways to motivate them, but it is affecting the majority of the class, so they have the fact that they are in the majority to convince themselves that what they are doing is acceptable.  I gave them an opportunity to do corrections on a quiz to earn some of their points back, but only one person in the class chose to do the corrections.  It was very disappointing.

WOW:  This isn’t necessarily about student teaching, but I have noticed that a lot of schools have begun posting job openings.  I am working on getting my application all set to go, and it’s pretty exciting to think about having my own classroom.  I have been offered a lot of freedom here, but it is a lot harder to do something new in someone else’s classroom than it seems at first, so it is really exciting to think about finding a job.  I am looking for positions in southwest Iowa, because my school is from Iowa and that is where my fiancé lives, and it’s kind of nice to know that although there are not a lot of districts in that area, there are already two schools that I will be applying to.

No comments:

Post a Comment