From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Student Teaching - Week #9

by Kathryn Williams - Taft High School

The Teaching Week

POW:  I’m still going full time, and it is a lot of work.  I have started teaching my thematic unit with my pre-calculus students and that takes a lot of other work outside of the regular planning and grading work.  One of the things I’m integrating into my thematic unit is a problem of the day.  Students take the problem home on a half-sheet of paper, and then as they enter the classroom the following day, they hand it in to me.  They are graded and worth five points each.  So far they have been doing pretty well with getting them handed in, and I think it is a good way of including a problems that involve a little bit more critical thinking.  Ideally, the problem would be a bridge between the current day’s lesson and the upcoming lesson, but I don’t have it down that good yet!

WOW:  I have been trying several different methods to keep my seventh period class under control.  They like to talk a lot during the lesson and are not the best at paying attention or following directions.  I have been trying a couple of different things to get them to stop talking because it is really rude to both me and the other students who are actually trying to learn.  This week I tried some new stuff and I felt like it was actually beginning to work by the end of the week.  I felt as though I was the one in control on Friday in class, and that was really good.  Hopefully things will transition into this coming week well.

The Museum of Science and Industry

A couple of my friends visited this weekend and we did a couple of fun things, one of which was going to the Museum of Science and Industry.  I had not been there since I got here this semester, so I was pretty excited to see it.  However, it was extremely busy with lots of little children, so we did not get to enjoy all of the interactive exhibits as much as we would have liked.  That’s what we get from going on a Saturday, I suppose!


No comments:

Post a Comment