From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Student Teaching Blog #1 - Fall 2015

by Jacob Ward, Franklin Fine Arts Center


Hello from the Windy City!  My name is Jacob Ward and I am a Fall 2015 student teacher in the Chicago Semester program.  Before delving into what Chicago life is like, here’s a little bit more info about who I am and where I came from:

I am a recent graduate from the University of Mount Union located in Alliance, Ohio with degrees in both Art & Theatre Education.  The purpose of coming to Chicago is to complete the requirements necessary to receive my teaching license.  About one hour away from Mount Union is my home town, which is smack-dab in the middle of farm country and is a place where everybody knows everybody.  So you can image what kind of major shift it was to move to Chicago.

I am currently living in Canterbury Court, which is one of the two housing options available for Chicago Semester students.  The building is within walking distance of Lake Michigan, and luckily enough, a ten-minute walk from my student teaching placement at Franklin Fine Arts Center, where I teach K-8th grade art.  The past couple of weeks some of our students have been studying Henri Matisse and creating collages similar to his, making masks, and studying photography and how to tell multiple stories in a single shot.

As for city life, I have made it my mission to take Chicago by storm and part of my is to ride from end to end on each color of the “L” trains and see what their many stops have to offer.  I have successfully completed the Red, Purple, Brown, and part of the Green line so far. 
Chicago Fire Festival
Adventuring has led to multiple free events including street art festivals, concerts, gallery openings, museums, and The Great Chicago Fire Festival which commemorates the Great Fire of 1871.  At the festival were acrobats, performers from the different neighborhoods of Chicago, vendors, food trucks, the single greatest fireworks display I have seen since coming to Chicago, and the Grand Finale of setting the GRIT House on fire.  I of course have a bucket list of things to do before leaving the city and have already made a dent by just getting out and living life!


Pretty successful start to this semester, I’d say!

No comments:

Post a Comment