From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Student Teaching - Week #13

by Amanda Mast - Curie Metro High School

The sun starting to rise during my commute!
After a week of Spring Break, it was surprisingly nice to be back in the classroom again. Everyone was refreshed, excited, and caught up if they had fallen behind. Things are a bit different, though, because I am starting to phase out of full time teaching. I am supposed to be allowing my cooperating teacher to take back over, but I’m finding it a bit hard to let her do so. I started the week assuming it would be easier and that I would just sit back and work on some of my portfolio work, but I like being involved, and I am finding myself offering to take over the class. Because of break, I don’t have a whole lot to say about my school experience, but in the next few weeks I am planning on going to a volleyball game and a baseball game to support some of my freshman. You can look forward to seeing that in future blogs!

I am struggling to believe that I am nearing the end of student teaching! I don’t even want it to be done. Sure, sleeping again will be nice, but I think I might miss the school more. I’m already having separation issues, so the rest of this experience should be interesting. By interesting, I mean that I am going to be pretty sad. Students are already questioning why I am not doing all of the teaching, and I accidentally told one class that this was my last month. It took a bit to calm them back down again after that, and even though it was a hassle, it was pretty sweet. It’s one of those rewarding perks of teaching.

City Life: Last Friday night, a few of my roommates and I went to Improvised Shakespeare. This was a suggested from a friend of a friend as a “Chicago must-see” and I assumed that since I have a special appreciation for Shakespeare, I would love it. It didn’t disappoint, but it was not what I expected either! The crowd shouted out made up “Shakespearean” play names, one was picked, and the cast created a plot, including soliloquies and rhymes. It was so impressive to see them act on the spot in Elizabethan style! Not everyone in my party appreciated it as much as I did, but the acting and lines were so realistic! I had the best time, and I’m glad my friends are great enough to go with me as I “nerd-out” on literature humor.

My roommate, Emily, and I at U.S. Cellular Field!
Another great perk of living in the city is that you can make last second plans to go to sporting events. I am a Minnesota Twins fan, and I had been watching the ticket prices once I found out they were playing the White Sox. Emily, my roommate here and from back home, and I purchased tickets a few hours before the game at a very reasonable price. The weather was great, and it was so much fun to do something spontaneously, even though the Twins lost pretty badly.  



No comments:

Post a Comment