From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Monday, December 9, 2013

Student Teaching - The End

by Rebecca Verhage - Walsh Elementary School


This last week of student teaching was a whirlwind. We had testing going on for NWEA and I had to go and do observations in other classes. My students accused me of betraying them by going to other teacher’s/grade classrooms. It was great though. I got to see lots of different teaching styles and it was also interesting to see how some of my students acted in other classrooms with other teachers.

My students started asking me about when I was leaving three weeks ahead of time. Here are some of their comments.

Student A: Ms. Verhage, you’re leaving in two weeks right?
Me: Yeah, unfortunately I am.
Student A: What are you going to do, are you going to go back to Washington?
Me: Yes, I am going to go back to Washington to sub for the next semester in my hometown.
Student B: Washington State right? (this was a common question throughout the semester)
Me: Yes, Washington State.
Student C: What’s the difference?
I laughed and then drew him a map after which he said, “Oh,…where are we?”
At that point I began to think we should have been teaching them geography.

Student 1: Ms. Verhage, you leaving soon aren’t you?
Me: Yeah, December 6th is my last day.
Student 1: Oh OK.
Me: Are you excited or sad?
Student 1: Sad.
Me: Really? That’s surprising. You’re always upset with me for making you sit down and be quiet.
Student 1: Oh, no no no (shaking his head vigorously), I’m excited because you’re always here when there is a sub and then we can never get away with anything but when you’re gone, we can take advantage of having a sub!

Student A: Ms. Verhage, why do you have to leave? Who is going to help me unlock my locker when you’re gone?

When I was out of the classroom, I guess my students were asking if they could come to my graduation. They almost went to the principal and asked to be excused from school to be able to take a field trip to it until they realized it was on a Saturday and they wouldn’t have school anyway. I had several students ask where and when it was though and how they could by tickets to come. They are so sweet. They told my teacher that, “We have to go. It’s important right? And we should be there because we are a big part of her education!”  They’re the best;)

My students were wonderful and threw me an amazing farewell party where we had cookies and hot chocolate for the last hour of school. The room had streamers and other decorations that they spend all of their lunch and recess putting up while I was sent to help the science teacher. They made me a cardigan that they had all signed and a picture frame with pictures of both classes. Some of the students even bought me gifts or printed out photos for me which was so sweet.

I had written a note for each of the students which I gave to them on my last day, along with a pen and a pencil. In our class, not a day went by that one or more students didn’t ask me for a writing utensil, so it was a bit of a joke.

As the students read my notes to them, one girl started crying. It surprised me because she tends to be one who doesn’t really show any emotion other than boredom or irritation with the boys in the class. Another girl came up to me and told me that I helped her a lot with her self esteem this semester and that she would really miss me. Her telling me that meant the world to me. Yet another girl told me that I was a part of their family now and they loved me. One boy even told me that he felt like he had the best teacher, and he didn’t mean Mrs. Ionita. He also told me he thought I was better! I am not inclined to agree with him, but it was nice to hear how much they all had grown to love me because I felt the same about them. The last few minutes of class were emotional. My teacher started crying so then I started crying and some of my students were crying. We were “a hot mess” as Mrs. Ionita often will say but it’s OK. I’ll miss them a lot.


View from the train
With my wonderful roommates
Student teaching was one of the best experiences I have had thus far in my life and I feel very fortunate to be able to say that because I know not all can. Not only was my school experience great, I had wonderful roommates and I had a great time exploring the city for our art events and on the weekends. If any of you readers ever have the chance to do Chicago Semester or to be invested in the lives of kids, don’t hesitate because it is more than worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment