From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

End of Semester Thoughts #2

by Carole's Small Group

Hannah, Bailey, Samantha, Rachel, Carole & Rebekah

Kelly Robbins – Hope College
Student Taught at Coonley Elementary

Taking part in Chicago Semester was the best choice for me.  Moving to Chicago allowed me to grow in many ways that I believe were only possible by leaving my college bubble.  I have seen growth personally, professionally and, socially.  Coming to the city I was a college student unsure if I could make it in such a populated area.  Chicago is not the small town of Holland I was used to.   Living in a city gave me the chance to be part of the bigger picture.  Living and socializing with new students gave me a chance to find who I am outside of college.  There is no doubt my student teaching placement helped me grow in ways that would not have been possible teaching in the small towns of western Michigan.  I was challenged with a multi-grade class of nearly 40 students.  I quickly learned that many of the students would test me and push me.  However, in the end I have come out a stronger person.  Between taking on the “city life” and balancing it with the challenges brought on by my placement, I am confident I will succeed after college.  Chicago Semester provided me with the appropriate support to smoothly transition out of college.  I am confident that God placed here to strengthen me and prove that I can thrive in whatever is to come.

Hannah Anderson Totten – Central College
Student Taught at Mitchell Elementary

Throughout the Chicago Semester Program, I enjoyed working directly with my student teaching supervisor for support and ideas to implement in the classroom.  It was also great to meet with students from multiple states all studying education.  Our diverse educational backgrounds allowed us to collaborate with one another.  While in Chicago I discovered that my skills can easily be adapted for any classroom situation.  I loved working with my students, even though I had no similar experiences while studying at Central College.  I learned so much and was able to grow under the supervision of great cooperating teachers and powerful Chicago Semester supervisors.         

Rebekah Marras – Calvin College
Student Taught at Solomon Elementary

In the Chicago Semester experience, I really enjoyed getting to know people from different schools and seeing all of the blessings and challenges that face urban education. By students teaching in Chicago, I learned, in a new way that I love to love students! This semester, I was given the challenge of working with some particularly difficult students. However, in this experience, I learned that I love to find ways to show even the toughest of students the love of Christ!     

Samantha Green – Carroll University
Student Taught at Clinton Elementary

If anything, student teaching at Chicago Semester will open your eyes more than any other experience has. This is definitely what I enjoyed most about my experience; specifically in regards to learning more about myself. Faced with a completely different culture and atmosphere than I was used to, I quickly learned about myself in a way I never thought possible. I realized what things in life were most important to me and what things bring me joy and peace. I cannot say I'm a fan of city living, but I've seen the vibrancy of the Chicago residents and visitors. It truly is a place for the diverse to come together as one. Student teaching at Chicago Semester has caused me to reflect upon my own life and the education and opportunities I had in comparison to those available here. And personally, student teaching in Chicago has made me appreciate my home state of Wisconsin that much more.  

Bailey Schrock – Calvin College
Student Taught at Solomon Elementary

This was a unique opportunity to see what urban education is like. Through this semester program I was placed in classes of 30+ students and discovered that I can handle them. There are many challenges but by overcoming them I became stronger. Because this semester was such a challenge, I feel accomplished by completing it. I am a stronger teacher and know that I can reach all students in these large classes. By working in CPS I feel like I could work in any school.         

Rachel Miller – University of Mount Union
Student Taught at Bridge Elementary

This semester really inspired me as a teacher. I know that because of this experience I have truly realized my vocation to be an educator. I never considered teaching as work. It was the best part of living in Chicago. On the weekends, I missed being at school. I also realized that I have a strong passion for working with students that are disadvantaged compared to students in high-income communities. I loved working with students from an urban setting and I know that is something that I want to continue to do in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment