From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Student Teachers

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Student Teaching - Week 13

by Madeleine Garcia - Kenwood Academy

Life in the City as a Student Teacher

Because of Thanksgiving, this last week was only a three day teaching week. The students were excited about the holiday break so it was hard to keep them focused. I tried to incorporate fun activities into the curriculum they were learning. We played games, and learned new vocabulary and concepts. Since it is the end of November, we celebrated all the November birthdays by singing Feliz Cumpleanos and giving them a lollipop.

My favorite part of this teaching week was when one of my students who rarely volunteers, and always tells me he does not understand, raised his hand to answer a question. He participated by choice, and later in the period he asked to put an answer on the board. He said, “Senorita Garcia, choose me for the next one, I know this stuff”. I was so proud of him and felt a sense of accomplishment. I will be sad to say goodbye.

Life in the City Outside of Student Teaching  

Thanksgiving Dinner

I cannot believe my time in Chicago is almost over. This past week has been so much fun. I stayed in Chicago for the Thanksgiving weekend. My roommate was here as well so we were able to celebrate together. We made a Thanksgiving meal and ate at the wonderful Canterbury apartments.

Thanksgiving Day Parade

We attended the Thanksgiving Day parade on State Street

early in the morning on Thanksgiving. Different bands from many states were present, blow-up balloons, dancers, and different themed acts performed down State Street. The street was so packed that we had to wiggle our way through what seemed like hundreds of people to have a clear view of the parade.

The rest of the weekend was relaxing. Shopping was an essential part of last week. Thanksgiving sales were everywhere! I had to go shopping at midnight on Thanksgiving evening. I was in Chicago! The stores were crowded and the sales were great! It was exciting to be in Chicago and experience the celebrations for the beginning of the holiday season.

Finishing Student Teaching

Even though it will be a relief to be done with the business of student teaching, I am incredibly sad to be leaving my students. It is amazing how much of a connection I feel with these students that were strangers three months ago. Over the past three months I have grown to really care for these adolescents, and I want so much for them to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment